Well, before we get to it, just quickly understand one thing – we all agree that it is certainly easy to start your own WordPress blog or website and get a good reliable web host for as low as $3.95 a month. However not all websites are that easy to manage.
Moreover, as a website owner or someone running any kind of business or eCommerce store; you need to think – What is it that will ensure growth, in terms or traffic, business growth and revenues?
Will it be managing servers, understanding and worrying about WordPress, its security and updates etc. or actually planning and strategizing for growth of your website, building traffic and growing your business by focusing on content, marketing etc… Getting my point. This is where Managed WordPress Hosting comes into the picture
What is Managed WordPress Hosting?
There is this whole breed of Web Hosting companies which would fall under the term or rather offer Managed WordPress Hosting.
Now there is a basic level of security, performance optimization, backups etc. provided by a lot of web hosts. However they are limited in terms of service to the kind of plan you take with them. Beyond that you will have to take care of things from your end. Of course their customer care would help you and guide you in case of problems, but that will still have some limitations plus will be a time waster for you too.
The regular type of web hosting packages are fine for most of us running blogs or websites which have low to moderate even high traffic. However if you have a site which has very high traffic or you are a company or a business (small or large) running a WordPress site you really wouldn’t want to go into all these hassles of managing every aspect of WordPress on your own or in-house. In such cases if makes great sense to let the web hosting company, wherein your WordPress site is hosted, take care of everything for you.
Managed WordPress Hosting excels in this aspect. Managed WordPress Hosting is optimized for WordPress and it takes care of your complete security, performance, caching, WordPress updates, backups and all technical aspects of it. So that you can focus on what you are good at – growing your business and building traffic. It even takes care of migration, should you need it.
Why is Managed WordPress Hosting Expensive?
Managed WP Hosting is like the 5 Star Hotels of WordPress Hosting – All your need taken care of, kinds. So yes that is one reason it is expensive. It is kind of a premium service wherein the client doesn’t have to worry about anything related to hosting and server management and just focus purely on their websites, content, marketing and growing business.
Plus they have a lot of advantages, which I will discuss below, which again leads to increased costs.
Apart from that these web hosts use nginX as against the Apache servers most web hosts use. Without going into much technical details right now, nginX is highly optimized for WordPress and it is a bit on the expensive side. So the premium experience and performance costs the additional sums of money.
Pros and Cons of Managed WP Hosting:
Let’s first talk about the Advantages:
Managed WordPress Hosting is highly secure and virtually hack proof as they constantly have all sorts of spam and malware scanners going on. So you can be assured on that front.
These kind of servers are blazing fast and capable of handling insanely high amounts traffic too with ease. So even if you have a high traffic website, you are assured it will go on and on, so you can sleep well. You also don’t need any caching plugins as they have got that covered too.
It goes without saying that you can expect the highest possible level of priority customer support. Need I say more on this… yeah you get the point.
One click Staging:
OK, lets say you want to test something on our site. But you actually can’t use your live site as a guinea pig can you. You can of course get a clone of your website but that is a pain in the …. yeah so what do you do. With managed WordPress hosting, this thing is taken care of with just a click or a button. This is called staging and they have it at just a click.
Updates and Backups:
You also need not worry about the backs of your site as your host will take care of it – on a daily basis. Yes you get daily backups. And also in case you go to restore your site, it is also a one click process.
It will also ensure that all the required updates for plugins, tools and WP itself are done and you will always have an up-to-date WordPress experience.
Virtually NO Downtime:
Yeah, no downtime. They will ensure you site is always up and running and gathering traffic for you.
Now, for the Disadvantages or Cons of Managed WordPress Hosting…
This is obvious by now. It is a premium service which ensures a no hassles WordPress hosting experience and hence it is expensive. Typically the plans start at $29 or more.
Given the nature of Managed WordPress hosting, there are restrictions on certain plugins and tools you can install. Generally the web host will have an efficient alternative to it, but still you won’t be allowed to install just about any plugin on your WordPress installation. Typically plugins which require higher resource utilization will be restricted.
Now the reason behind this is that basically any plugin which can potentially hamper the performance of your site will be disallowed. So this is as such not that bad a problem, if you think of it.
Since someone else manages everything for you, it also means that you yourself have much lesser control over it all. Which is again not a bad thing actually, but for some it can be an issue.
But then again, why would you pay for Managed WordPress Hosting if you yourself had to do the work?
So, then When do you need a Managed WordPress Hosting?
Well, when you can afford one of course 🙂 🙂
No, jokes apart; here are certain things you must bear in mind to understand when would you need a Managed WP service or not.
If you are a new blogger or have a site with low, moderate or even slightly higher traffic; then your NEED NOT go for the managed services. Again if you are a pro at server management and are willing to give time and effort to managing your servers, then of course you can do without a managed service.
But if you are a small, medium or large business or someone with very high amounts traffic you are better off with a Managed WordPress Hosting service. Plus if your traffic is everything and you cannot afford to have any downtime whatsoever, managed WordPress hosting is for you.
Does and eCommerce store require Managed WordPress Hosting?
Well, not in the early days, but as it grows, it should invest in a good Managed WP host. The reason is, the business depends on uptime and security. Plus how do you handles days of high traffic – like an end of season sale or some festivals?
At such times a Managed WordPress Hosting will be a boon and you will be focusing on growing your business and not worrying about loss of customers due to downtimes or slow site speeds and also not worry about being hacked.
Top 10 Managed WordPress Hosting services that I would recommend:
Based in: Austin, Texas
Data Centers in:
WPEngine is probably the best on the list. It is slightly on the expensive side, even when compared to other Managed WordPress Hosting. But it is well worth it. They are at the top of their game. Just to give you a perspective – companies like HTC, SoundCloud etc. So yeah, they are good at what they do.
Features of WPEngine:
- Fast, very fast
- Caching taken care of by EverCache
- Round the Clock Security and constant Hack Monitoring
- Of course the usual fare of backups, support and amazing experience
- Some plugins are restricted and Of course – It is a bit expensive
Plans Starting from $29/mo – Get WPEngine Here
Based in: North America
Data Centers in:
- North America
- South East Asia, Oceania
Another strong contender – Pressidium is a top Managed WordPress Hosting provider we have around. It definitely good, reliable and has some affordable plans too (in relation to Managed WordPress Hosting plans).
Features of Pressidium:
- It uses its own enterprise platform called Pinnacle, which not only ensures good performance, but also a very nice and simple User Interface.
- Round the Clock Security and constant Hack Monitoring.
- Uses webscale technology similar to Facebook’s which ensures it can handle all kinds of traffic spikes with dynamic balancing.
Plans Starting from $17.90/mo – Go to Pressidium Here
Based in: Tuscon, Arizona
- N. California
- Sao Paulo
It is the first among the list to offer Managed WordPress Hosting and they know their craft. It is with good reason that lot of online biggies trust Pagely.
Features of Pagely:
- It uses Amazon Cloud services which ensures a robust, strong and fast servers which in turn results in awesome site performance and highly scaleable architecture.
- It uses PressArmor for every account for security and hack prevention.
- Daily backups, updates and everything else is taken care of, so that you are not worried about managing the server and technicalities of WordPress.
- It has plan on the expensive side. It is base plans are expensive than WPEngine too.
Plans Starting from $64/mo – Go to Pagely Here
Based in: San Antonio, Texas
Pressable using a very good caching service and has partnered with Google PageSpeed to deliver high performance and awesome load speeds.
Features of Pressable:
- Partnership with Google PageSpeed ensure you of blazing fast load times.
- Regular Hack Alert Monitoring, Caching, Auto Backups, One click staging are the obvious add ons. that come with it.
- Its plans are similar in terms of pricing to a lot of other Managed WP Hosting providers.
Plans Starting from $25/mo – Go to Pressable Here
Based in: Nebraska, USA
Mainly seen as a service for Creative Agencies and Designers, Flywheel caters to Managed WP hosting needs of all kinds of businesses.
Features of Flywheel:
- Easy migration, so you are good to go and get started with Flywheel Hosting.
- Nightly Backups ensure your data is safe and also any backup process doesn’t hamper your user experience or site performance
- Integrated easy One-Click collaboration with team members.
- Option to have free demo-sites which you only pay if they go LIVE. This is an awesome thing for designers.
- It of course has the usual perks that come with Managed WP hosting – security, uptimes, auto-updates, and the works.
Plans Starting from $15/mo – Go to Flywheel Here
Their focus is on productivity and efficiency for their clients. Which ensures you get a worryfree experience. With Synthesis you not only get the usual fare you would expect and associate with Managed WordPress Hosting, but you also get to perform Keyword research, market reasearch, get contact info of relevant authorities to reach out to build your network – All this right from your WordPress Dashboard.
Features of Synthesis:
- Focused on productivity – which allows for a lot of research and analytic tools right on the WordPress Dashboard
- SiteSensor – Uptime monitoring tool to ensure you are always in the loop, when it comes to tracking the uptime of your site.
- Tracking and prevention of any attacks or vulnerabilities. It also ensure there are not false-positives.
- Its plans are mid-range and can be afforded by lot many businesses out there.
Plans Starting from $47/mo – Go to Synthesis Here
Based in: Los Angeles, California, USA
Data Center Location:
Kinsta has multiple server locations, thus giving the clients an option to host their sites closest to their location to give their visitors the best possible experience. A CDN with 7 data centers and across 4 continents again adds to the lightning fast experience.
Features of Kinsta:
- Fast load times… Like real fast!
- Just like the others – everything taken care of and assured out and out amazing performance.
- It is among the expensive… rather most expensive Managed WP hosting providers. But for those who can afford it, these guys won’t disappoint.
Plans Starting from $287/mo, yeah 287… – Go to Kinsta Here
Based in: Bulgaria
Data Centers in:
Let’s just say – these guys are AWESOME. Their regular WordPress Hosting Plans too offer some amazing performance and support with good level of security. While we say Managed WordPress Hosting is expensive, the way SiteGround works is that you can have plans starting from as low as $3.95, which s around the cost of a usual shared hosting plan. It will offer all the features you get with a Managed WP account, but will be limited as per the plan you take up with them.
Features of SiteGround:
- Awesome Support – 24/7 assistance
- CDN, Auto Updates, Pro-active security and hack monitoring
- Scalability option as your site grows
- Easy Migration
- Git, WP-CLI pre-installed, and offers WordPress migration for no added cost.
- Affordable plans.
Plans Starting from $3.95/mo – Go to SiteGround Here
Based in: Utah, USA
Data Center Location:
Similar to SiteGround, BlueHost is again a company which provides affordable Managed WordPress hosting services. Though the plans are higher than what SiteGround starts with.
Features of BlueHost:
- Even the most basic plan allows upto 100 million visits a month with a 2GB Ram and 30 GB storage server.
- SiteLock CDN and SiteLock Pro bundled for great performance and security and daily backups.
- Add upto 5 Sites and enhanced CPanel.
Plans Starting from $12.49/mo
If you are outside of India – Go to BlueHost from Here
If you are from India – Go to BlueHost from Here
Based in: Los Angeles, California, USA
DreamHost provides good Managed WordPress Hosing experience in a mid-range pricing model. The usual fare is offered and you will get everything you expect from a Managed service like this.
Features of DreamHost:
- You get a host of goodies to start with – Auto scaling RAM as per your requirements and based on the plans
- 30 GB SSD storage which ensures good performance
- The starter plan handles 2.1 Million visits a month with VPS
- Auto-backups, Auto-updates and the usual fare associated with Managed WordPress Hosting.
Plans Starting from $19.95/mo – Go to DreamHost Here
Getting a Manage WordPress Hosting can save you a lot of efforts and time. However the flip-side is, it does cost more money. If you can afford it, you can definitely go for it, as it has obvious advantages as listed above. But then, it is not something which will hamper the growth of your website in any way. As a good shared web hosting plan will also be just fine and you can of course upgrade as and when the need arises.
Blogging, WordPress, Building High Traffic Websites, Web Apps and Digital Marketing .... and yes, did I say I'm a big-time food junkie.
I'm currently reading:
The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
Latest posts by Shalin TJ (see all)
- SiteGround Review – What makes it Worth and What Doesn’t? - March 4, 2016
- WP Engine Review – Should you Buy a Managed WordPress Hosting from WPEngine? - February 29, 2016
- InMotion Hosting Review – The Good, The Bad and The Reason to Pick it! - February 22, 2016